us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

January 30, 2006

Am I Too Picky?

My two best friends insist that I am not too picky about the men I date. They say that I’m just choosy and have high standards. Now after a dateless existence for months, I think that I am indeed too picky. It’s not like I haven’t been asked out or anything. It’s just that I always find ways to get out of it. The more popular excuse is that I’m busy but in my defense it usually is true. Try balancing a television show, a job as a writer at a newspaper and other projects in development and then tell me if you’re not busy! Oh I forgot my very busy social calendar even though I’m dateless.

So why am I so picky? Is it too much to ask for an interesting, good-looking, intelligent, funny, ambitious, financially stable, versatile guy who has a great smile and dresses like he just stepped out of GQ Magazine? Oh all right I guess it is. The thing is that I approach my love life the way I do everything else. I truly believe that nothing is out of my reach and I must dream big in order to achieve it. Someone once told me that it’s rare to find the person that you have been dreaming of getting. Maybe my list is way too narrow and I need to start thinking outside of the box when it comes to guys. So does that mean I will not be dating Freddie Ljunberg of Arsenal any time soon?

Even though some of us do not admit it, we all have our dream guy or girl and try to get as close to that as possible. Guys, Halle Berry is out of your reach and girls, Orlando Bloom is taken, but is it so wrong to look for that ideal person. I’m sure that my high standards have cost me some interesting dates and experiences but as my mother always says, ‘Life is short’. So I really don’t want to waste any night on someone that I really don’t want to spend time with. I really prefer to stay home and watch reruns of Sex and the City or play with my puppy Coco.

Two weeks ago I used my busy excuse on a guy who has been asking me to go out on a date with him. His response was that if I really wanted to, I would make the time to see him. Hmmm smart guy, but just not for me. The guy’s good-looking, smart, funny but something just didn’t click. I asked my friends whether I should give him a chance and they both said hell no. Is that this single girl’s problem? Not giving guys who do not fit my perfect bill a chance? Or should I just keep hope alive that one day soon a great, good-looking, funning, smart, well-dressed guy or Freddie Ljunberg will just walk into my life? Or maybe I should just stop taking dating advice from my girlfriends!

Let me know what you think. Email me at lovechronicles@hotmail.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this blog, its so real, blog on!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cool, we girls really go through alot to get a man. We have to be picky

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon