us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

January 30, 2006

The Younger Man

There is a new syndrome infecting the dating world. It’s called the ‘Demi Moore-Ashton Kutcher’ syndrome. This can be described as an older woman dating a much younger man, sometimes ten or even twenty years her junior. This growing practice is also called ‘May-December’. Now I know that I am only twenty-four, and would not be considered an old woman, but to a nineteen or twenty year old man, I would be described as the older woman.

As you found out last week, I am not meeting any suitable men to date in my age bracket, so I started to wonder about those below my bracket. Maybe I was ignoring a huge segment of the dating population, and just maybe my dream guy was a twenty year old. I decided to do an unofficial survey on the Demi-Ashton syndrome, and ask women whether they would be willing to date a younger guy. A woman in her forties told me that without a doubt she would date, and has dated younger men, and would even choose them before ones her own age. She added that she preferred to be a babysitter instead of a nurse. I can’t argue with that point. Another woman in her fifties said that she always dates younger, because those guys have the same interests as her and enjoy life. She went on to say that older men never want to do active things, and that the younger ones are better in bed. Hey she said it, I didn’t.

I wondered how common this practice was, and decided to do a search on the internet. Thousands of websites were listed, including Dateolderwomen.com. This site had many eighteen year olds looking for grandmas to love, and older women looking for junior! To each his own. So if this Demi-Ashton syndrome was so popular, would it be a choice for me?

So on Saturday night my girlfriends and I went to The Blue Martini in Rodney Bay, and to my delight the place was filled with nineteen and twenty year old men. Ah, perfect time to see if I should consider this age group even though my girlfriends call it cradle robbing. As we were enjoying our blue martinis, one of the young men approached our table and leaned in to whisper in my ear. ‘Can I tell you something?’ He said seductively.
He then started to sing the song that was playing. ‘You’re beautiful. I just want you to know that you’re my favourite girl.’ Was this guy serious? Apparently he was, as he continued singing, sounding more like Macy Gray than Usher. He then proceeded to deliver some of the worst pick-up line I have ever heard. I will not insult your intelligence, dear reader, by repeating them.

When we had exhausted all of our tolerance resources, we started to yawn and made a beeline towards the exit. I don’t know whether this guy was immature because of his age, or that was just the way he was regardless of age. Nevertheless, I am now cured of my Demi-Ashton syndrome and I will not be dating junior anytime soon. I will however make the rare exception for Prince William or Harry! Until next week….
Let me know what you think. Email me at lovechronicles@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon