us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

January 30, 2006

The Older Man

I have always had a thing for older men. It all started when I was ten, and saw Denzel Washington on the television screen and then Harrison Ford in ‘Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade’. Oh I was so in love! For centuries women have been attracted to older men and vice versa, and there are many theories to explain this condition. The father of sexual psychology, Dr. Sigmund Freud, developed one theory called the ‘Electra Complex’. He described it as a condition, which is experienced by young girls during their developmental stages, that causes them to form a strong attraction to their father. Ok…, enough of that theory!

Now I have dated older men but they were still young, in their early thirties. I always wondered what it would be like to go ‘older’; I’m taking about twice my age or older. I’m sure that I will have little trouble getting candidates to volunteer for that task, as many older men admit to a preference for younger women. They say that it makes them feel rejuvenated, more energetic, more desirable and attractive. Some women admit to dating older guys because of the many benefits that it brings them. Benefits such as a fatter wallet! I on the other hand, would be interested in just dating someone mature, self-assured and interesting. Can you imagine the stories a fifty year old could tell? Oh my, I really hope my father isn’t reading this!

I actually know of a 21 year-old woman dating a 56 year-old guy. She admits that she has to deal with being called a ‘gold-digger’, rude stares from strangers and nasty comments from older women. Someone even mistook her for a prostitute once! Now that’s hard. She does however admit to enjoying the benefits of the relationship with an older and very financially stable guy, constantly receiving expensive gifts including a vehicle. Even though I do wonder what dating an older guy would be like, I have my reservations about going that old! The relationship may become more parent-child than man-woman. I would also be at a totally different stage of life than the man. When I’m ready to go out and party, he wants to go to bed. Or when I’m ready to have children, he is welcoming his fifth grandchild. And then I must question why he is interested in someone so much younger. An older man I know admitted that he has more control in a relationship with a younger woman, and that she allows him to make all the decisions. Well, that could never work for me.

Anyway, I guess my search for the perfect man continues. Even though I have ruled out the much older man, I will always be willing to date my first crushes, Denzel or Harrison. Until next week…

Let me know what you think. Email me at lovechronicles@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon