us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

January 30, 2006

First Date Disasters

Some first dates are horrible from the moment they start. The minute he arrived for our first date, I knew that it would be a disaster. For the purpose of sparing his feelings, lets call him Arthur. Arthur asked me out on a first date to dinner at a great restaurant in Rodney Bay. He picked me up at home thirty minutes late and gave me some poor, poor excuse. I was so excited about the date that I forgave him.

Then we arrived at the restaurant, he got out of the car and for the first time I got a good look at what he was wearing. I, as usual, had worn one of my little black dresses with my fabulous red heels. He, on the other hand, had worn a beat up pair of jeans, dirty sneakers and a washed out, multicoloured t-shirt. Now I knew for a fact that this guy had better, much better clothes, because I had seen him at work in his European shirts and beautiful ties. So what was his problem now? Maybe he just didn’t know how to dress appropriately. Hey I felt sorry for the guy but that is one of my pet peeves. Guys who do not know how to dress.

The disaster did not end there. After we sat down in the restaurant, he snapped his finger at the waiter! Yes, he snapped his finger! Some of you dear readers may see absolutely nothing wrong with this, but I think that that’s just rude. Then the food came and he could not use a knife and fork. Guys, if you do not know how to use cutlery in the correct manner, teach yourself or ask someone to show you how.

Did I mention that he also wolfed down his food, like he had not eaten in days? This may sound like I am making a mountain out of a molehill or dust particle, but you needed to be there to understand. It was just so embarrassing and disappointing. I had expected someone refined and well mannered. Arthur also had no intelligent or interesting conversation and he tried to be sexy, but he was just not doing it for me. He ended up looking ridiculous.

I of course tried to be polite and counted down the seconds until the date ended. Five, four, three... The waiter asked if we wanted dessert and I of course declined. Two, one… Ah, it was finally over! As we headed to my house, Arthur asked me about ten times when he could see me again, and very time I came up with a brilliant excuse. To sit through this a second time would be TOURTURE. Well that was the end. I never went out with him again.

Maybe I could have been more tolerable and given him a second chance, but I really believe that the first date is also a sign of things to come. So people do we forgive first date disasters and give the person a second chance, or do we just walk away?

One day I’ll tell you about the time I got stood up and waited for forty five minutes at Razmataz for my date. His excuse? He fell asleep! Until next time…
What do you think? Email me at lovechronicles@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon