us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

February 28, 2007

Sweat Rice, Voodoo Spells & Love Potions

Last weekend, a local newspaper had an extremely interesting classified advert. It advertised the services of a voodoo queen or obeah mama who promised to return lost love, reignite the passion and keep-your-man potions. I am sure that we have all grown up hearing the stories of the man who can never leave the woman he hates because she ‘tie’ him. We’ve all heard the hush whispers of couples eternally stuck together because the woman put an ‘obeah potion’ in her man’s morning coffee or the man buried a lock of the woman’s hair underneath the tree in the backyard. Can someone really be forced into loving another and do ‘love potions’ really exist?

To investigate this further, I contacted someone, who shall remain nameless, with a little insight into these practices. This person was convinced that ‘love potions’ and ‘voodoo spells’ work extremely well when it comes to love and gave me many examples to prove just that. The first story told was about this couple who fought constantly, truly hated each other but for some reason could not leave the relationship. After many years of this living hell, they consulted a counselor and this is when the truth was exposed.

First the woman admitted that she had used a spell to keep the man at home. What she did was rather peculiar. When the guy was asleep, she took a tape measure and wrapped it around his body. This tape measure was then put into a glass bottle and dropped into the river. The man then confessed that he too had used other means to keep the woman devoted to him. While she was asleep, he took a strand of her hair, threaded a needle with it and that needle was then placed in a banana tree. Since they had both ‘tied’ each other, then neither could leave the relationship. Only after lots of counseling and praying, the spells were broken and the two went their separate ways.

The stories about ‘magic love’ did not stop there. My source went on to tell me about one very popular and often practiced ritual. This one is known as ‘sweat rice’. What happens is that a woman who wants to keep a man, boils a pot of rice. When the rice is cooked, she takes the hot steaming pot of rice and places it on the floor. The woman, now naked, stoops over the steaming pot and allows certain ‘juices’ to flow into the pot. I’m sure you can use your imagination from here. So anyway, when her man comes home, the woman gives him this ‘sweat rice’ to eat and then he is hooked for life!

My very informative source told me many more, all of which are a little too disgusting to be repeated. Things to do with . . . Oh no I really can’t repeat! Do these voodoo spells and potions really work? Some I have spoken to about this are convinced that it works and are widely practiced in St Lucia. Others say that it is all baloney. I really do not know what to think. All I can say, is please do not try the above at home and guys, I would avoid eating rice unless absolutely necessary!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Lee I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your love chronicles. I used to read them in the newspaper but I am not in St. Lucia at the moment so I am so thankful you have an online blog so that I can get my weekly fix. First of all I am female and I wanted to ask your opinion on something.What do yo do when you care about a guy but he makes it so difficult to get close because he thinks he will ruin your life if he does?

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From trinidad,
A friend and myself were talking about a guy that we know who is hoked and staying in a relationship even though he is unhappy. He literally feels as if he has no other chioce. I would like to hear some more actions and the results to see if these things are really true , because I have heard it alot from the old folks here...

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I am a form 5 student at Couva West Secondary in Trinidad and I have to do my S.B.A on Obeah and one of the sub headings under obeah is Voodoo and love potions and i would like to know if you could give a little more information on Other types of Love potions and moe Trinidad culture it would really mean a lot thanks in advance you could contact me on face book as kurlis levine or send me a message at kurlislevine@ymail.com

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon