us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

April 02, 2007

Pearls Of Wisdom

Recently, one of my mother’s best friends spent some time with my sister and I. She calls us her daughters and usually imparts very good and practical advice about life. The lesson of the day was on my absolute favourite topic; love and choosing the right man. Our dear friend informed us that she would be imparting some extremely important pearls of wisdom; named for the exquisite set that she was wearing at the time.

“My girls, I will share something with you that my mother always told me about men and love,” she began. “She tried to teach me the right way to do things but I did not listen. I do not want the two of you to make the same mistake that I did. When you are choosing a man and are ready to get married, never think with your heart. Use your head and other areas to decide what man you will be with.”

What exactly was she telling us? Should we ignore our heart when it comes to love? But wasn’t love and being with the right person all about what you felt in your heart? Our friend agreed that what you feel is of course very important but let your brain lead you into a good relationship, she advised, while stressing that you must do what is best for you and find a man that can truly complement you in all ways and one that will never drag you down. She advised to look for someone ambitious, like ourselves, who was doing something with their life. Never get caught up with all of those feeling and emotions,” she advised, “look at love as a more practical affair.”

Was she correct? When it comes to choosing a man, do we abandon what we feel and go for the practical? But isn’t love all about the impractical? Okay, now I’m kinda confused. Can we think with our hearts and be practical as well? Sometimes, as I have learned, that this is next to impossible. What I have always said is that a woman (or man) should have a list of what they are looking for in a partner. We should all have our requirements of what we want. I always believe that even though we need to be open to all the possibilities of love that we must always stick to our standards. There is nothing wrong about wanting certain things in someone that you want to share your life with.

I have said before that a guy has to have a good brain in that head of his to be in my company. Just telling me that you like my small size or I look like a good woman for you will not get my attention and make me stop and talk to you. A guy also needs to know how to loosen up, have fun and understand my sense of humour. Like me, he must be ambitious and not be satisfied with just the basic out of life. Well, I guess the pearls of wisdom do carry some truth. I of course want to be madly in love with him as well!

So my ladies and guys, I am passing on the advice to you but with some minor changes. Love with your heart but keep your head on. Have your list of what you want in a partner but do not be afraid to change it because what is important to you will change as well. These are my pearls of wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon