us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

June 19, 2006

Friends & Lovers

I was thinking about having a party recently so I decided to make a list of people that I would invite. After writing down about 50 names I realized a certain trend. There was an unusual balance between the number of girls and guys on the list. My friends and acquaintances who were guys greatly outnumbered the girls. There were 42 guys and 8 girls on the list. Now, I started to wonder, with all of these guy friends, was one not suitable to become more than that? Do friends make the best boyfriends or girlfriends? And should a single gal dip into her friendship pool to get a mate?

Going way way back into my vault of love, I realized that the first guy that I really liked was actually a very good friend first. We realized that there was something more, so we started dating. It was really a great experience because I really knew almost everything about him and we were just extremely comfortable with each other. But then there are some guy friends who I would never consider dating because I know almost everything about them. I know about all of the girls, the player moves and the two girlfriends who know nothing about each other.

Some people believe that men and women cannot be just friends and that there is always a natural progression towards something else. (Warning: All attached women stop reading now!!) So anyway, the great comedian Chris Rock once said (well I had to edit it alot) that women and men can never be just friends. He went on to state all women’s male friends are like extras in a glass case; break in case of emergency. In other words if a women needs a man she will get just get one from the male friends that she has. OH, Ahah. So should I be going that route? I dunno.

So then, what happens if a friend likes another friend but then that love is not returned? A popular excuse to gently let someone down is: “I don’t want to ruin the friendship.” Note well, if a friend who you are in love with tells you this, then they are not interested in anything more. So let it go and move on!

Then another issue arises with this friends and lovers thing. What if the two friends actually do get together for a while and then the relationship thing does not work out. Can they then return to their original state; as close friends? Or has the love ruined the friendship for good. I guess it all depends on the reason for the breakup. If it was painful, then friendship may be a hard thing afterwards but it all depends.

Like with anything else in love, some things work for some people some of the time. So if you have a great friend who you think could become more then go for it. Anyway until next week… Where did I put that party list? I need to go through the names of the guys one more time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esther! Esther ! Esther! Way to go!!!! I dunno what to say but Chile, keep on doing your thing! You make me very proud. You and Davina and your new teammate, I wish you all the best best best best of luck and continued success with your productions.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon