us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

May 11, 2006

To Like or Not To Like

Growing up, I, like a lot of others had to learn that you can not have everything you want. No, I could not have a third ice cream cone or another doll. As you get older, you start having more control over what you want and what you can get. At twenty-five I can get that third ice cream cone if I want, or buy another pair of heels, but when it comes to love, sometimes the choice is not up to you at all. What do you do if you want something or someone but they do not want you back? What do you do if someone wants you but you do not want them? To like or not to like. That is the question.

Earlier this week one of my girlfriends called me at work and shared some very interesting news. She had found out through a mutual friend of ours that this guy (who we both knew) was extremely interested in me, and hoped that we could go out sometime. This information caused quite a distraction and I instantly got writer’s block just as I was trying to finish an article. Oye!! I got a little flustered, not because I was interested in him as well but because I was not.

Don’t get me wrong, this guy was perfect (well that I could see). He was good looking, educated, funny; I could have great conversations with him and I am sure that he would be a fun date. I had spoken to him a few times in the past, and we had mutual friends so we saw each other out and about. But, and this is a huge but, he was just not for me, just not my type. I have tried thinking outside the box and not really dating ‘my type’ but that just does not work for me. I always end up saying ‘I knew I was not interested!’ after the first date and have the task of telling the guy that this will be the last date. So this time, what am I to do? This guy has not asked me out yet but I am sure that the time is near. So what do you do? Do you go ahead and try to like this person because they like you? Or do you stick to your gut feeling and let them down, gently of course.

Another troubling situation arises, when the opposite is true. What if you are soooo in love (or in like) with someone but they just do not share the same feelings? I remember, years ago when I was a youngster at school, I had this huge crush on a guy. Major crush. We were in all of the same classes and had all of the same friends, so he was always around. So one day, I finally got enough courage to admit to one of my girlfriends that I was really interested in this guy. So she agreed to pass the message along and let the guy know how I felt. So she did and came back to let me know that he wanted to talk to me. I was sooo excited and expected him to profess his undying love for me. Did he do that? Oh no he didn’t. Instead he told me that he was not interested in me in that way but thought that I was a great friend. Then he went on to admit that he was really in love with my friend, the same one who came to him about me!!! And further more could I let her know that he liked her. WHAT???? This guy had been so gentle with his let down that I could not help but agree to assist him with his crush. But alas, she was not at all interested in him. Well I guess we both learnt a valuable lesson that day, you do not always get what you want and someone does not always like you just because you like him or her.

So what am I going to do about the guy who likes me? Right now, I am guessing that I will let him down very gently or use some lame excuse like ‘I’m always busy.’ But who knows, when the time comes I may just give him a chance and like him back. Let me know what you think. Until next week…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say it may depend on the kind of person he is. If he's one of those guys who gets their hearts broken easy then it would be better to let him down slloowwww. BECAUSE !!!!!!!! If you went out with him and you dont like him, then at that moment, he would feel like the happiest person on earth! THEN at the end of they day when you try to let him go (if it's not hard for you to do...but the longer together 'livin a lie' the worse) he'll be EXTREMELY heartbroken and his personality may even change. May not even want to love again. Okay well maybe not that drastic but he would change. And then you would have to live with the guilt of that. Soo.. all how both of you'll would suffer. o_O!
But if not then hey .. have a ball. Even if you 'let him down' after, he may not hate you or anything.
But then again, that's my opinion. In a (as in ONE)guy's POV{mine}.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon