us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

April 18, 2006

Cheap Dates

Recently a guy made a comment that had me fuming for a couple of hours, appalled that he would think such things about me. He suggested that I would never date a guy like him because he could not afford to take me to expensive dinners and fancy restaurants. He also said that a girl like me needs a guy with lots of money to spoil me. &%#@*&^!!
I, of course, had to set him straight immediately, asking him not to judge before getting to know me. I further explained that I can ‘spoil’ myself by myself, and that the thought is really what counts when it comes to planning dates. So what’s a guy to do when he wants to take a girl out and his pockets are lined with cobwebs? And how do we girls separate the cheap, selfish guys from the sweet, broke ones?

Now let’s get the cheap selfish guys out of the way first! My friend ‘Diane’ was dating this guy many years ago when she was still a youngster and was blinded by young love. So Diane and this guy went to a performance at Pointe Seraphine. The guy said that he did not have much money so Diane paid for the entrance fee of five dollars for the two of them. During the performance the guy says to Diane, “Diane, aren’t you thirsty?” “Yes, I am,” said Diane smiling, thinking that her guy was offering to buy her a drink. “Well I am thirsty too, so get me a Heineken when you go to the bar,” he responded. WHAT!!!! Well Diane, blinded by love, went to the bar and bought this guy a beer. Dear readers, I was present at the above incident and I must tell you that it was the way in which this guy spoke to Diane that had me reeling. But it did not end there. When the couple left the show, the guy stopped to buy another beer, pulled out a 20-dollar bill and never asked Diane whether she wanted something as well. Now that is the cheap, selfish, disrespectful type that we all should stay away from.

Now there are the guys, who are absolutely great, interesting and well mannered, that just cannot afford the extravagant things while dating. They may be ambitious and hard working but there is just not enough money left over to wine and dine a lady after the bills and other obligations are settled. Guys, that is OKAY. All you have to do is be creative when planning dates and remember that it really is the thought and effort you put into it that counts.

I remember that the best date I ever went on was when this guy cooked for me. He found out what I liked to eat and made a special at home dinner for the two of us. I still remember that time with fondness because it was absolutely thoughtful, and he put so much effort into it. He even decorated the table with candles and flowers. AAWWWW. So guys, imagine that you can have a girl so impressed with you by spending under 30 or 40 dollars. Let me break it down for you. Go to the supermarket or meat place and buy two legs of chicken, two pieces of fish or whatever your girl likes. Buy some rice, some cucumbers and tomatoes. Pick some peppers from your neighbour’s garden (with permission of course) and some flowers from the other neighbour. Go to S & S and buy two coloured candles. Voila! You have a fabulous date all arranged. Your date will be blown away by your effort.

If cooking is not your thing, why not invite her to watch you play basketball or football and even offer to teach her a thing or two about the game. Going to the beach is also great. Just remember that if you are with the right person, where you go on a date really does not matter, spending time getting to know each other is the important thing. Anyway y’all, until next week…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more. But there i think one was missed out. Those who appear to have money and really don't!! O_o Try telling your date you got no money with a rhino on your shirt. Lol. But yes ... very interesting topic.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon