us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

May 22, 2006

Will You Marry Me?

I knew the day would come sooner or later. I thought it would be later but you never know with these things. I got asked the important question. That vital question that most women hope and pray and cross their fingers for. The question that changes lives and make most women weep with joy. Will you marry me? Now dear readers don’t get too excited thinking that this single gal will be single no more or that your invitation will be in the mail.

Ok, let’s start from the beginning. It was 7am on a Saturday morning, when my cell phone rang, waking me up. Anybody who knows me will never call me that early on a Saturday! If I am not filming for the TV show or covering a story, my bed is my friend until the very late hours of the morning, especially if I went out the night before. So the cell phone rings and I drag my tired body out of bed to answer it. “Hello,” I said still half asleep. “Hello, it is me,” the voice answered back. “Who?” I asked getting ready to hang up and return to bed. “It is me (insert name here),” he answered. “What’s up?” I asked wondering what the emergency was at this early hour. “Am, well, there is something that I wanted to tell you ever since the first time I saw you,” the guy said.
“Yes,” me becoming impatient. “Well I wanted to tell you that I love you and want you to marry me,” he dropped the bombshell.

WHAT!!!! I of course got fully awake instantly, and then started to wonder whether I was dreaming. “What did you say?” I asked. “I want you to marry me,” he said again. I reminded the guy in question that we hardly knew each other so the marriage question was a little strange. “Why do you say that?” he asked. Ok I had had enough, so I told him I had to go and I would have to speak to him later.

Now dear readers, this guy is not my boyfriend (as you all know I have none right now) or even someone that I have been dating, have dated or ever will date. I met this guy a few weeks ago, I can’t really go into detail, but we spoke briefly. I hired him to do something for me, so we had to meet up again. That was our only contact. After I had hung up the phone, I began to wonder. Had I sent the wrong signals? Did he misinterpret my warm and sunny disposition as interest in him? Where did it all go wrong?

I related this story to one of girlfriends and she came to two conclusions. One. This guy had severe mental problems. Two. He mistook my good manners for love. I really did not know what to conclude. The day after, he called me about eleven times in a one hour period. And the day after that as well. I finally answered and asked him what was up. He wanted to know when we could meet. I told him that I was busy and had to go because my boyfriend (the imaginary one) was waiting for me. Well, well dear readers, hopefully I will be asked that question again one day, later instead of sooner I hope. And until then I will try not to give out the wrong signals. Until next week…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon