us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

February 06, 2006

Single in 2006?

This week I started making a mental list of my new year’s resolutions and goals for 2006. Become a better writer, expand my business, start some form of exercise, find a new man. Hold on now, did I just say find a new man? Oui, si, yes I did. Then I started to wonder, is that as important as my other goals? Will it make that much of a difference in my life? Will having someone to rub my feet and whisper sweet nothings in my ears actually make me a happier woman?

Studies have suggested that being one half of a couple actually prolongs someone’s life and make it more meaningful. Other studies also say the same thing about having dogs. If I really admit it, being single is not that bad at all. There are so many benefits to being just one. One of my married friends recently confessed that she missed her single days. She really is happy in her marriage but stressed that I should enjoy my time alone and that I had absolutely no one to answer to but myself. That is sooo true.

Another great benefit of this is being able to flirt with anybody you want and not have to deal with a jealous boyfriend or girlfriend after. And flirt I did in 2005! Going solo means that you are totally open to anyone interesting and the possibility of new romances. Whoopee!! You can also take the time to really find out what you want in life and in a partner. This year I realized that I do not want the younger guy, the way too old man, the recycled mate or the dude with really bad pick up lines. I am however open to guys from all races, cultures and nationalities if they are cute, interesting, smart and funny.

Having a man in the New Year would also mean that I would have to find the time and space in my life to fit him in. I really like doing lots of different things including producing and hosting a television show, working on my art, watching movies and so many other things which take up most of my weekends. The rest of that time is spent hanging with friends. So I just may end up penciling the guy into my schedule and that would never work.

During my research for this article I came across a study that was done on the health benefits of being single and was printed in an issue of Marie-Claire in November 2004. They found out that single people generally have the following traits:
1. You don’t get fat. Women generally gain five to eight pounds in the first two years of marriage. More if they are unhappy.
2. You look more in shape and fit. Singles are more likely to pay attention to how their bodies look. The increase in exercise lowers the risk of heart disease and diabetes. It also reduces symptoms of PMS!
3. You spend more time doing what matters. And less time on housework! Hahaha.
4. You sleep and think better.
5. You are less of a stress case
6. You have lower blood pressure and you’re happier.
Hey, people in a twosome, I didn’t say it, Marie-Claire did, so send them your hate mail. For those fabulous singles that agree, write to me at lovechronicles@hotmail.com. Until next year….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon