us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

July 24, 2006

Love vs Career

A couple of weeks ago my sister asked me a very interesting question. She asked, “If you had to choose between having an extremely successful career, someone like Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State of the United States or having a very very ordinary career with a great love life, which would you choose?” I didn’t hesitate when I choose the amazing career over the love life. My sister tried to explain that maybe the love life would be better to choose because that could bring me more happiness. I beg to differ. I also had to wonder, does my quest to be the best at work interfere with my love life?

I am only twenty five years right now and for me, being a successful writer and building my TV production business is much more important right now that having a boyfriend. If I were forced to choose, I would always choose the career. Maybe ten years from now, having a great love of my life and a family may be more important, but right now I really can’t think along those lines.

Women have been battling this dilemma for decades. In the fifties, a lot of women were satisfied with being a great housewife and mother and their family was their number one priority. Things started to change in the sixties and women began to rebel. By the seventies and eighties, it was all about the high-powered positions as women flocked to the boardroom. In the nineties, the ladies wanted it all and tried to balance family and career. Today, a lot of women are choosing to leave the office to become pregnant cooking housewives, something I could not be. Now, I am not insulting anybody’s choice, it would just not be mine.

Now back to the important question. Does my drive and ambition to have a successful career interfere with my love life? I have always said that my boyfriend would have to understand how important work is to me for us to have a successful relationship. The fact that I work a lot even in my free time would affect the amount of time I spend with him and he would have to understand. Some guys would just not be able to deal with that.

A guy once admitted to me that he could never date someone like me because he would feel a little intimidated by my ambitious nature. Is that also a problem? Are guys running scared because a girl wants to be successful? Well if that the case, they wouldn’t be worth it anyway. Guys have to get that cave man mentality out of their heads and realize that women can bring home the bacon as well and they (the guys) can cook it. Haahaha. I will surely never get a date now!!!

After reading my column last week, my mother told me that no guy would ever want to talk to me again. They would all be too afraid. Oh boy!! So what do I choose, having a popular (award-winning!!!) column or having a guy? You know my answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon