us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

February 06, 2006

Are Single Women the Enemy?

There is a war waging here on earth, a war between two very different groups, a war that can affect lives and make grown men weep. I’m not taking about World War III, War of the Worlds or even the racial divide, although as much passion is given to it. Ladies and gents, the war I speak of is the one between single women and those not so single, married or otherwise. Sometimes I think that married and attached women want to return to the days when witches were burnt at the stake, but instead of witches, women with no men would be tortured and turned to ashes. “I heard so and so is alone. Let’s hunt her down and make her pay.’ This they would say, as all the villagers carry their torches and spears and prepare to spill blood. Are we single women the enemy?

Oh ok ok, my imagination has gone a little far this time but that’s how I feel sometimes. Show the evidence you say. I give you exhibit A. (I think I watched too many episodes of ‘Law & Order SVU’ during my time off). Anyway I have attended various functions or have had dinner at this couples’ only resort in the north of the island. If I am walking through the hotel alone or with my girlfriends, I instantly receive an extremely icy reception from the women who are with their men. They seem to pull their guys just a little closer to them as if to mark their territory and claim ownership. Maybe their husbands stare a little too long or a little too hard. I know its cliché but if looks could kill, I would be six feet under right now! Then on the other hand, if I am at this same hotel with a date or just a guy friend, these women seem to want to be my friend! They smile and allow their husbands to smile at me as well, and try to start up conversations.

Exhibit B your honor. I once work at this place that required me to travel to trade shows and conferences, and my boss was sometimes required to attend as well. So one time on this trip to the isle of reggae, the manager and I traveled together to attend this weeklong conference. Before I left, who should call me at work but the significant other of this boss in question. She wanted to get all the details of our trip because she was planning on surprising him there, yes people she was going to fly over during her partners business trip to ‘surprise’ him. Some of you may see absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you would have to know the individual in question to understand her motives. Well fly over there she did, to the sheer horror and embarrassment of her partner, who did not appreciate the gesture. He was convinced that I was the reason she had dropped everything, took time off work and flew many, many miles to see him. With regards to me she took the advice of keeping her enemies very close. Why she felt threatened I never knew, since I was not the least bit attracted to the guy, but I doubt she would believe me. If I had been married or attached, would she have done the same thing?

Maybe this war is all in my head but many other single gals have reported similar incidents. Even when my girlfriends and I go out to nightclubs in Rodney Bay, the same pulling the men a little closer and icy stares seem to happen. My sister though is now no longer on the list to be eliminated by the other side. Why? Well she and her boyfriend Damien, who make the cutest couple, are usually together when their go out. I dunno, maybe this war just my imagination. Until next time…
Let me know what you think, write to me at lovechronicles@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon