us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

February 07, 2006

Death to Valentines!!!

It’s THAT time of year again when lovers, romantics and those obsessed with all things red, wake up everyday with a smile on their faces in anticipation of THE day. No it is not even their birthday or wedding day. It’s Valentine’s Day, February 14, the day everyone gets flowers and chocolates and special unmentionables from their sweethearts. Everyone except the single people!! Why must this day even exist? Can’t you couples buy flowers or chocolates and have that special dinner any ole time of the year?

Since I can’t wave my magic wand and make it all go away, I guess I will have to suffer through this year’s celebrations. Now, dear reader, please do not get me wrong. I love the fact that couples get a chance to show their appreciation for each other and that some businesses will be having a very good week, but that day is just a slap in the face of all the single people out there.

Even though some of us love being just one, Valentine’s Day is like a child waving his finger at you, taunting you and reminding you that YOU ARE ALL ALONE. Literally, everywhere you turn on every corner will have some sort of reference to THAT day. School children wearing their little paper cutout hearts pinned to their chests, every store window advertising some special or the other and let’s not forget the people who dress in red and white!! No, Non, Awa! Gimme a break people, do you have to dress in the red and white? I’ll be in black.

And then, there are the ads on the radio, television and newspapers advertising every kind of Valentine’s Day event. This year I have realized that the organizers of these parties and dinners are actually inviting the single people to join in on the fun. Now, think about it. Why would I, a single girl, want to come to a Valentine’s dinner and dance? Do I want to torture my weak heart by watching couples look at each other lovingly, dance closely and making out in all available corners, as I sit all by my lonesome listening to love songs? No, Non, AWA! Then, to add insult to injury, you have to pay more to attend if you are coming alone! I saw two events advertised on television where the entrance fee to the party is $20 for singles and $30 for couples (or $15 per person). So after I’m already feeling down about being alone on Valentine’s Day, I have to pay more than an attached person to enjoy myself and lift my spirits. Thanks a lot!

Wow, I must apologize if I sounded extremely angry or cynical or rude. I really could not help it. Just being honest. To all the couples, please enjoy that day and send each other lots of flowers, candy, perfumes and all things nice. But please forgive me if I look a little grumpy, snap at you or are dressed all in black on THAT day. Hmmm maybe next year I’ll be getting flowers or wearing red. Until next time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon