us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

August 07, 2006

The Handyman

What do women really want? For decades, we have fought for the right to vote, the right to equal pay and opportunity and the right to be treated just like a man. When it comes to love, the terms are a little different. Do we really want to be all equal in a relationship? Do we want to do everything that a man does like pick up the check and open the door? Do we want a guy that will let us? Or do we want a man’s man who will be there to save the day and be our knight in shining amour?

I was recently watching a segment on NBC’s ‘The Today Show’, which said that women today want a handyman; they want a man who will be their rescuer and fix things. So even though we have fought for the right to be equal when it comes to everything else, when it comes to love we still want the man to play the usual male role.

A few years ago, I really liked this guy. We hung out a lot and them I really got to know him. The traits that had attracted me in the beginning slowly began to irritate me. This guy was sensitive, loved to listen and really took care of himself. I’m talking about him paying very special attention to his wardrobe, hair and getting regular manicures. Soon I realized that I was becoming the ‘man’ in the relationship. This guy had more feminine traits that I did. I think he would avoid doing anything that would mess his nails up. My sister suggested that maybe he was still in the closet and didn’t realize that he was gay but I doubt it. It was during that time that I realized that I really do want a handyman. I love a guy who is sweet, likes to listen and cares about how he looks but he should also be able to change a tire, paint a wall or defend me in a fight. In other words I like a man’s man.

In recent years there has been a great shift in men’s behaviour and the term metrosexual has been used to describe guys who are really into fashion, beauty, skincare and taking care of themselves but who are not gay. These guys spend extra money and time on looking their absolute best. This changes the dynamics of a relationship as the guy is now showing some very obvious feminine traits and he is now the one having a spa day. I really do not see anything wrong with that. The problem arises when this guy is taking more time to get ready than I am or has more beauty and skin care products. In other words, the buck stops here. I don’t want to be worried that I will be the one who has to change the tire in my heels and dress.

This makes me wonder, if I had to pick between a man’s man who is very handy, very masculine but not very cultured or a metrosexual who doesn’t know a hammer from a screw, who would I choose? Wow that tough, the handyman may not be able to eat with a knife and fork but he can paint your house. And the metrosexual will happily go shopping with you but do not count on him when the sink’s clogged. So who do I choose? Hmmm. Well. Ok if there was a gun to my head and I was forced to choose, I would probably choose the metrosexual. I know many of you would disagree but I love to shop and as a beauty product junkie, I could discuss the latest ones with him. And I could always hire a plumber.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon