us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

August 07, 2006

The Setup

As a single gal, there are many risks you take when trying to find a date. I have gone out with guys I know who are not my type and rarely does it work out. Then there is the risk of all risks. The one that may cause rifts in friendships and family ties. The one that might break hearts and make grown men weep. This is the setup.

What exactly is a setup you may ask? This is where someone you know thinks that they have the perfect guy or gal for you and arrange for you two to meet on a date or get to know each other thing. If the person who arranges the setup knows you well, then the results may be fantastic but if they do not, you may be stuck with some guy you really do not want. And that could be disastrous!

So my dear readers, my sister and her boyfriend are getting tired of seeing me dateless. I think that they are just tired of me being the third wheel when I go out with them but they would deny it. Anyway, the sweet sweet couple is now feeling so sorry for me that they are trying to set me up with a gentleman. They have identified the guy, made sure that I would approve, and then went ahead and spoke to him. They both know him and think that he would be perfect for me.

I have met this guy and he is cute, interesting and woks in the same industry as I do so we do have some things in common. My sister and her boyfriend know him much better than I so I am hoping that they have chosen wisely. They are so excited about this whole setup thing and will even accompany me for the first meeting. I am now starting to wonder whether they really want to set me up with a great guy or they are just looking for some excitement and entertainment to amuse themselves. Will we be their puppets that they manipulate? Dance puppet, dance! Oh boy!

So I am hoping that this setup will actually work out but what do I do if it doesn’t? What if I know from the first minute that this guy is just a no no? What if the initial meeting goes horribly wrong? This is different from a normal date. If you meet a guy on your own and it doesn’t work out you only have to explain to him. But when it comes to a setup you have to explain your reasons why to the person or in my case persons who organized the whole thing.

Then, if you do not want to see the guy again, do you tell him or tell the setup organizers first? And would they carry the message? OYE!!! This is sooo confusing. I am trusting that my sister, who has known me for the past 25 years (all my life), would know which guy is right for me. Well I am trusting, hoping and praying that she does! If she does not, then we have some issues to deal with.

I must of course remember that this setup could be great for me. It could work out perfectly and then my sis and her boyfriend can pat themselves on the back. Hopefully next week, my article title will not be ‘The Disaster’.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon