us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

June 27, 2007

Dutch Treat

The things we women have to deal with when dating was a hot topic recently when one of my girlfriends called me at midnight recently. I was already on my third dream about George Clooney when my cell phone rang. I got up immediately because I knew only a crisis had happened to make her call at this hour on a weekday! Let’s call this friend Susan.

I answered the phone and before I could say hello, Susan started. ‘Esther, he made me pay for half of the bill!!’ Let me explain this situation. This guy had asked Susan out on a first date and told her that he wanted to treat her to dinner. So they went to a lovely Rodney Bay Village establishment and had a fantastic meal. They chatted, laughed, flirted and stared longingly into each other’s eyes. And then the bill came.

‘Esther, he got the bill and was just staring at the thing for the longest while! So I made a joke about it and asked him whether he need help with that. Do you know what he said?’ she screamed into the phone. ‘Yes! He said yes!’ she continued. So Susan ended up paying half the bill even though she had only an appetizer for dinner and the guy had ordered the whole menu! Now before guys start throwing knives at me and say that there is nothing wrong with a woman paying, let me state my case.

It is of course ok for a woman to pay for dinner but when it comes to a first date, the accepted rule is that whoever asks, pays for the date. So if the guy asks the girl out, he pays, if she invites him out she pays. Simple! When the relationship is further along, then the couple can share the responsibility of paying for the dates. If you cannot afford to take a girl to let’s say Ku De Ta, then take her to KFC! There is no going dutch on a first date.

Anyhoo, we were very curious as to where this ‘going dutch’ or splitting the bill phrase came from so we googled it. On the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, this is the explanation we found ‘The phrase "going Dutch" probably originates from Dutch etiquette. In the Netherlands, it is not unusual to pay separately when dating. English rivalry with The Netherlands especially during the period of the Anglo-Dutch Wars gave rise to several phrases including Dutch that promote certain negative stereotypes. Examples include Dutch courage, Dutch uncle and Dutch wife. The particular stereotype associated with this usage is the idea of Dutch people as ungenerous and selfish.’
Research has found that most marriages end because of financial issues. Money causes so many problems and many questions arise in relationships. I was recently having a very lively discussion with some colleagues about men giving their girlfriends money. One, who was a guy was completely opposed to it and the girl thought that there was nothing wrong with it, she expected the guy that she was dating to hand over the cash. My take on this is that I really do not want a guy handing me cash. If you want to get me a lovely gift, then that’s fine. The relationship would feel too much like parent-child and not man-woman if I took cash from a guy. Anyhoo until next time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon