us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

November 29, 2006

Good Grief It's Raining Men

My love life always seems to go in weird cycles. I dunno if it’s the moon, rain or alignment of the planet Jupiter, but at times life’s like the Sahara desert; no men in my line of vision for miles and miles and then suddenly there’s a monsoon and I’m flooded out. Seriously.

A few months ago, my dating calendar was soo empty that I was forced to write about how boring my love life was. My mother and a couple of my girlfriends placed all of the blame squarely on this column. “No man will ever ask you out again,” my mother said. “Why would he, if you are going to write about it in the papers for all of St Lucia and the world to read,” my girlfriend added.

“But I never mention any names,” I responded, in an attempt to defend my good name. Okay, so I admit that was a pretty lame defense. But then how to explain those monsoon seasons; when men seem to pop up from every crevice on this earth’s surface; all entering my life all at the same time. What a lucky lady, you say? Well, I am but I must tell you that too much of a good thing is never great. Take chocolate, for example, which I absolutely love. Eat one bar and it’s terribly fulfilling; eat ten and what you’ll end up with is a very bad stomach ache. So, what to do when many good offers are lined up on the table and you have no idea which to pick?

The first option is to accept them all and hope that your juggling skills are excellent. This reminds me of an episode of Sex and the City when Charlotte had two dinner dates in one night. She pretended to be sick on the first date so that she could make it in time for the second. Hummm . . . good idea. Could that ever work for me? Well, that show is based in New York city where there are many more restaurants, bars and nightclubs to go to and the chances of running into the guy from your first date when you are with your second are low. In St Lucia where the options are limited, your first date’s cousin’s brother’s wife’s friend may just see you out with the second guy and rat you out.

Now do not get me wrong, I think in the early stages of the dating game it is fine to date more than one person at a time until both of you decide to be exclusive but it is usually best to avoid having two dates on one night or things may become a wee bit problematic. The second option is to carefully sift through all the offers, pick the best of the lot and work with that one guy for as long or as little as you like. In this way you can give your full attention to that one person.
Alas! There is also the option of saying no thank you to all of them and go on enjoying your single and sometimes dateless experience. Uhhh, I don’t think so. I’ll go with option one or two and hope that it continues to rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon