us

Esther Lee's Love Chronicles

These are my personal tales of love, life and sex. Love Chronicles is now an award winning column. It captured the Gold (1st) prize for Creative Journalism in the National Arts Awards 2006 in St. Lucia!

November 20, 2006

To Love, Lust or Like?

The world of dating and relationships is a quagmire of confusion. One major bog is the question: ‘Is this love or lust?’ How can you tell if you are truly, madly, deeply in love with someone or you are just filled with lust for his or her beautiful body? What is the difference anyway and how do you know when you are in love? And can you really fall in love at first sight? Questions, questions . . .
Some long time ago, I met this guy through a mutual friend. We seemed perfect for each other and soon I felt that I was truly in love with him. I, being an extremely analytical person, could not accept that I had fallen in love so quickly. Could I just abandon all logic, all good common sense and let my heart take over? We soon realized that we had some major personality and lifestyle differences and said adios to each other.
All of the loving feelings were replaced by indifference and I couldn't remember why I had been so in love. If it really was love wouldn't I be hurting, crying or missing him? I wasn't doing any of the above, so I concluded that had only been lust or a deep liking.
Two days ago, a friend met me and gushed, “Esther, I am in love!” I, of course, wanted to know every single detail. Did she have some secret fellow that she was hiding somewhere? “Who is this guy?” I asked. “Well I met him yesterday when I was downtown!” she answered. What! Yesterday! Was I hearing correctly? This normally levelheaded girl had fallen in love overnight?
“You are in love just after one day?” I asked in disbelief. “No, it didn't take one day. It was love at first sight. We locked eyes and I knew that he was the one for me. I can’t explain it, but I just feel ditzy, childish and are at a loss for words whenever I am with him,” she continued.
She went on to say that she had never felt this way before and she knew that it was more than just a crush or lust. I refrained from mouthing the cynical thoughts that swirled around in my head. I do wish her luck! The question still remains. How do you know if it is love? Are there specific symptoms, clues, and factors that signal this emotion? And what does being in love mean? I searched for the meaning of love in the Oxford dictionary online and it explained love as “to feel love for.” Huh?
I searched some more and the online dictionary also stated that love is “an intense feeling of deep affection” and “to like very much.” Okay, I still haven't found the answers to any of my questions about love, lust or deep liking. Maybe I should just stop thinking and rambling so much . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expedia Coupon
Expedia Coupon